TWS S2 E15 • Mark Kleanthos
Mark Kleanthos: Triathlon Coach’s Advice on Nutrition and Hydration (Part 2)
"Believe you can achieve and you can achieve anything."
I’m back with endurance triathlete and coach Mark Kleanthos and in Part 2 of our conversation, we chat about his mindset and the importance of hydration and nutrition.
If you didn’t listen to Part 1, here’s an overview of Mark’s outstanding achievements;
- Participated in triathlon since 1983 and hasn’t missed a year since
- Competed in over 39 Ironmans
- 2 double Ironmans – he broke 2 British records and finished the second race in under 24 hours
- Triple Ironman – that’s non-stop, a 12.6km swim, 550km cycle and 126km run in 45 hours 58 mins 20 secs.
Mark really helped me to optimize my performance for Ironman Barcelona last year, by providing me with nutrition and hydration advice.
We go into this, talking about the importance of knowing how to calculate and consume how many calories you need to eat an hour when racing and training – something I didn’t realize!
Another thing I didn’t know about, was the importance of staying hydrated. Did you know that for every 2% decrease in your hydration, your performance drops 10%? That’s huge! Mark talks to us about how we can prevent this from occurring.
As you know, I also love everything to do with our mindset. So Mark gives us some tips on how to mentally prepare ourselves for race day too!
I hope this conversation helps you with your race ambitions, if you have any questions for me or Mark, then do drop Mark a line here or you can send me a message via my red bot.
(Listen to Part 1 here with Mark Kleanthos where we dive into his story and outstanding 36 year career in triathlon!)
P.S. Thank you so much for choosing to listen to my podcast today, you’re making me one very happy person! If you enjoyed the show, then please share it using the social share buttons below.
I would also really love it if you would take just 60 seconds to leave me an honest review and rating for my podcast on iTunes. They’re super helpful when it comes to ranking the show and I thoroughly enjoy reading every single one – and If I really like it, then you’ll be given a shout out on my podcast 🙂
Selected Links From The Episode
[0-1.52] Introduction to Part 2 of my conversation with Mark
[1.52-4.42] How Mark mentally prepared for a Triple Ironman
[4.42-8.04] How Mark works out how many calories he needs to consume for a race/while training
[8.04-14.22] How Mark works out how much he needs to drink during a race/while training and why it’s important
[14.22-16.50] Mark’s go-to race breakfast
[16.50-24.15] Wild Fire Round
[24.15-25.43] Let you in on a secret about my last guest of Season 3
Related Episodes You Might Enjoy
- TWS S2 E14 Mark Kleanthos: An extraordinary 36 year journey in triathlon (Part 1)
- TWS S2 E2 Being Relaxed Is Key: Triathlete and Coach Will Usher on Competing In His First Ironman
- TWS S1 E1 From Lawyer To Sports Coach: Jen Brown On How To Train And Adventure Courageously
- TWS S1 E0 Adelaide Goodeve – from chronic fatigue syndrome to adventurer
Big thanks to Rob Lawrence and Matt for production, audio engineering and for helping me make Season 2 become a reality 🙂